Houma, LA

I'm on benicar (olmesartan) 20 mg for high blood pressure now. is this safe? will my potassium get to high or my kidneys fail? and will it control pulse rate as well

Dr. Quresh Khairullah
Nephrology and Dialysis 42 years experience
See below: Benicar (olmesartan) is a class of anti hypertensive medication called ace inhibitors. One of the side effects is high potassium and levels need to be monitored? If blood falls too low , there is risk for developing kidney failure.It is a a good pressure medication and can also reduce protein " leakage " from the kidney and has other beneficial effects.
Dr. Jack Rubin
Nephrology and Dialysis 48 years experience
Potassium on Benicar (olmesartan): Benicar (olmesartan) is a potent anti-hypertensive agent, which is an angiotensin receptor blocker (arb). As a result your potassium levels may increase, especially if you age. Your real problem is not potassium. It is "why does an 18 year male have hypertension (h)"? You should be seen by a neprhrologist to rule out conn's syndrome, or a renal artery stenosis, among others, that can cause secondary h.

Last updated Jun 24, 2014