Geneva, NY

can gerd cause lightheaded feeling and swollen glands? i am a 41 year old female, have a hiatal hernia. feeling like food is stuck in chest as well.

Dr. Donald Mantz
Unlikely: I would see a doctor about the swollen glands and lightheadedness. Unlikely related to hh. Hiatal hernia and acid reflux could cause the esophagus to spasm or even develop scar tissue and narrowing. This would cause the feeling of food sticking or catching. I would see your doctor about getting a test to check your esophagus. If not already taking acid medication twice a day, recommend doing so.
Dr. David Earle
General Surgery 31 years experience
It's possible : Upper GI symptoms can be plentiful, and difficult to determine the exact cause. Gerd can cause your symptoms, but you may also have some minor abnormalities of esophageal muscle coordination. It may be that you require a full anatomical and physiological work up of the upper GI tract to determine the cause(s). 1st - history & physical. Next, endoscopy, contrast x-ray, and possibly ph and manometry.