Is there a difference between lasik and laser eye surgery?

Dr. LINDA VARGAS
Ophthalmology 35 years experience
Yes: Laser vision correction can be accomplished one of two ways; either lasik where a flap or lid is created prior to the actual laser treatment to "reshape" the cornea or surface ablation also known as prk without a flap or lid where the epithelium is removed followed by the actual laser treatment to reshape the cornea.
Dr. Mark Golden
Ophthalmology 42 years experience
LASIK: Lasik is one form of laser vision correction. The other main form of laser treatment is prk.
Dr. Federico Mattioli
LASIK Surgery 26 years experience
Yes: The difference is that lasik is a type of laser eye surgery. Lasik refers to lasers to correct vision by reshaping the cornea. There are many other laser eye surgeries, such as for diabetic eye problems, glaucoma, and retinal diseases.
Dr. Jay Bradley
Cornea, Cataract, & Refractive (LASIK & PRK) Surgery 19 years experience
Lasik : Lasik is a type of laser vision correction or surgery. Other types of laser eye surgery include prk and epi-lasik.
Dr. Arun Gulani
Ophthalmology 32 years experience
Yes: As i mentioned before there are over 20 ways of performing laser vision corrective techniques among close to 40 vision corrective procedures to help people see without glasses and contact lenses. The term laser eye surgery includes lasik as one among them. All laser vision surgeries re-shape the cornea to help correct the refractive error. Lasik in particular involves making a flap.