i'm 65 female, ex-smoker and my spirometry show 82%. is this an early sign of copd?

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Pulmonology 27 years experience
No: Any fev1 (forced expiratory volume in 1 second) above 70% of predicted is considered normal. Clearly the best information about COPD is following the fev1 over time to look for changes but 82% is well within normal limits.
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Not sure...: It depends on exactly what was 85 percent and if the test showed an obstructed or a restricted pattern. In copd, there is obstruction present. See your doctor for an interpretation off the test and so treatment can be rendered if you do have copd. Congrats on smoking cessation!