what does thinning of the cartilage in my knee mean for my health?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Robert Levine
18 years experience Orthopedic Surgery
Early Osteoarthosis: Thinning cartilage is a x-ray finding for early oa. It is a warning that your knee is starting to wear out and it means that you may have to make some lifestyle changes. If you are overweight, you should lose weight. You may need to modify your activity, for example, void high impact sports. If you exercise, you may have to modify your program to decrease stress and strain on your knees.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
3
Dr. Roger Palutsis
35 years experience Sports Medicine
Behave yourself: At the age of 29, thinning of your cartiage is unusual. This is usually seen on an MRI that can see the thickness of the articular cartilage. I would suggest avoiding running excercisies including jogging. Also, nutritional supports like osteobiflex and glucosamine supplements would be benefiical. Perhaps viscoelastic injections such as synvist will also help. Avoid surgery if possible.
Answered on Oct 4, 2016