is neurosurgery used for back problems?

Dr. Roger Frankel
Neurosurgery 29 years experience
Definitely: In most situations neurosurgeons will treat back problems without surgery. If nonsurgical treatments are not helping and a surgical option is appropriate, neurosurgeons are extensively trained to perform these types of operations.
Dr. Kevin Vaught
Neurosurgery 28 years experience
Yes: Neurosurgeons routinely treat spinal disorders.
Dr. Mariaelaina Sumas
Neurosurgery 32 years experience
Definitely: Most general Neurosurgeons treat spinal problems as a major percentage of their practice. Unless a Neurosurgeon specializes in certain other areas, treatment of spinal disorders (with or without surgery) is the primary focus of Neurosurgeons.
Dr. Brandon Gabel
Specializes in Neurosurgery
Yes and No: Neurosurgeons and some orthopedic surgeons treat conditions of the spine. Pain, both in the back, and down the arms and/or legs may be amenable to surgical treatment depending on the specifics of the case. Additionally, doctors who specialize in pain or rehabilitation medicine may also be very helpful for certain conditions that afflict the back.