Brooklyn, NY

I just got steroid injections in my stye located in my lower eyelid near the tear duct. i wanted to know when is it safe for me to wear contact again?

Dr. Yale Kanter
Ophthalmology 62 years experience
Contact lens use: This suggests you had a treatment for a chalazion, and it would be best to wait for this to subside. Otherwise you could exacerbate the condition. If it does not subside minor lid surgery can correct this and you can resume thereafter.
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
When infection gone: Generally, contact wearers should wait until an eye infection is completely resolved before contacts are worn again. Make certain that you sterilize the contact (or use a new set) to prevent possible re-infection. Also, if you use mascara, throw away current one, wait until eye infection/stye has completely resolved, then use new mascara (should be changed every 3 months as preventive measure).
Dr. Prabhat Sinha
No: Sterids are immunosuppresant and there is increase rise of infection so wait 1 to 2 wks.

Last updated Mar 22, 2020