United Kingdom

anyone with a stye like thing on your eye during pregnancy. it is a small red lump/spot near my tear duct. i've been prescribed fusidic acid ointment?

Dr. Brian Nguyen
Zit happens!: A stye is kind of like a pimple of the eyelid and zit happens, regardless of pregnancy. Done say that pregnant is an immune compromised state which puts you at risk of infection, but with good hygiene you'll be fine. Don't rub and wash your hands. Call your doctor if this spreads to the other eye, you get a fever, muscle aches, etc.
Dr. Creighton Wright
General Surgery 56 years experience
Warm compresses: Several times a day. May need antibiotics or lancing if not improving quickly. Most open and drain- blocked follicle. Like a zit on the lid.
Dr. Andrea Kossler
Ophthalmology 15 years experience
Lid hygiene: A stye is a blocked oil gland of the eyelid much like a clogged pore or pimple. Use warm compresses (warm cloth x 5-10 min over eyelids 4-6 x/day) to open glands ; clean eyelid margin with baby shampoo to unclog the gland. Styes rarely get infected, you may not need the antibiotic, however a steroid ointment (maxitrol) may help. Keep up lid hygiene morning ; night to prevent others from forming.