U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 38-year-old member asked:

I'm claustrophobic and i need to get rid of it permanently because it is so embarrassing! who can help?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Evan Altman
Psychiatry 20 years experience
Psych professional: Claustrophobia can be effectively treated with cognitive-behavioral therapy, including gradual in vitro followed by in vivo exposure therapy. Expect it to take time and involve lots of work with repeated practice/reinforcement. Anxiety medications can be used off-label to help reduce some of the problem especially as a safety net for emergencies or early on as you are starting with treatment.
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology 15 years experience
CBT: Seek a cognitive-behavioral therapist who specializes in phobias. One method they use is systematic desensitization which slowly and incrementally brings the person closer and closer to the thing they are afraid of in slow, graduated steps that help make the anxiety more tolerable.

Related questions

A 45-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
A 50-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 38-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 36-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
A 48-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Last updated Mar 21, 2015
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.