I have a hard painful lump by my ear next to my jaw line. my jaw clicks when i yawn or move it a certain way. is this symptoms of tmj, and should i see a dentist for this?

Dr. Marc Newman
Dentistry 10 years experience
ENT: I would see an ent. The click in your jaw joint (TMJ) and the lump behind your ear are most likely independent of each other. It is normal for your jaw to click. A sign of tmd (temporomandibular joint dysfunction) is when there is pain associated with your joint. If you're having pain in your tmj, then i would see your dentist to help manage that.
Dr. Thomas Davis
Dentistry 36 years experience
TMJ: Yes, this is the location of the tmj. See your dentist and he can evaluate the situation.
Dr. John K Sullivan
Dentistry 37 years experience
Yes and Yes: Clicking in the jaw joint is a sign of TMJ problems. A lump can form with inflammation or disc problems. The best person to see is a dentist or oral surgeon, to properly diagnose the condition and suggest treatment options.
Dr. Kim Capehart
Dentistry 20 years experience
Go to your doctor: The bump and symptoms could be coming from TMJ to ear to other pathologies. Go to your doctor for an evaluation and proper diagnosis.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
ENT or oral surgeon: The painful lump may or may not be related. See an ENT or oral surgeon to help sort it out.
Dr. Parmanand Parikh
Dr. Parmanand Parikh commented
Specializes in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
It likely is the head (condyle)of lower jaw,if so I Oral surgical consult,suggested.
Jun 17, 2014
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
TMJ: There are many symptoms associated with Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome. The specific symptoms you describe indicate that you should start your diagnostic quest with an Oral Surgeon. You may also be referred to an ENT, prosthodontist, orthodontist, neurologist, for additional evaluation.

Last updated Apr 12, 2020