I have a hard painful lump by my ear next to my jaw line. my jaw clicks when i yawn or move it a certain way. is this symptoms of tmj, and should i see a dentist for this?

13 doctors weighed in across 6 answers
Dr. Marc Newman answered

Specializes in Dentistry

ENT: I would see an ent. The click in your jaw joint (TMJ) and the lump behind your ear are most likely independent of each other. It is normal for your jaw to click. A sign of tmd (temporomandibular joint dysfunction) is when there is pain associated with your joint. If you're having pain in your tmj, then i would see your dentist to help manage that.

Answered 11/27/2017

5.7k views

Dr. Thomas Davis answered

Specializes in Dentistry

TMJ: Yes, this is the location of the tmj. See your dentist and he can evaluate the situation.

Answered 3/19/2015

5.7k views

Dr. John K Sullivan answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Yes and Yes: Clicking in the jaw joint is a sign of TMJ problems. A lump can form with inflammation or disc problems. The best person to see is a dentist or oral surgeon, to properly diagnose the condition and suggest treatment options.

Answered 9/26/2016

5.7k views

Dr. Kim Capehart answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Go to your doctor: The bump and symptoms could be coming from TMJ to ear to other pathologies. Go to your doctor for an evaluation and proper diagnosis.

Answered 4/12/2020

5.4k views

Dr. Louis Gallia answered

Specializes in Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

ENT or oral surgeon: The painful lump may or may not be related. See an ENT or oral surgeon to help sort it out.

Answered 9/27/2017

4.3k views

Dr. Arnold Malerman answered

Specializes in Orthodontics

TMJ: There are many symptoms associated with Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome. The specific symptoms you describe indicate that you should start your diagnostic quest with an Oral Surgeon. You may also be referred to an ENT, prosthodontist, orthodontist, neurologist, for additional evaluation.

Answered 5/30/2019

170 views