will the person be awake with an endotracheal tube in his throat?

Dr. Tracy Berg
General Surgery 32 years experience
General anesthesia : At the end of the procedure, your anesthesia provider emerges you from general anesthesia. Well done there is no awareness of the endotracheal tube for the patient.
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Anesthesiology 29 years experience
No: In most cases, the tube goes in after you are asleep and comes out as you are waking up. If there is a reason for an awake intubation or prolonged intubation after surgery, your anesthesiologist should discuss it with you ahead of time.
Dr. Mitchell Zeitler
Anesthesiology 39 years experience
Rarely: Most or almost 99.9% of the time the tube goes in after you are asleep and comes out before you are awake. There are times, depending on the course of the survey, the morbidity of the patient (severe lung or heart disease) where it is better to leave the tube in. The patient will then be deeply sedated for this and will not be aware of the tube. It will then be removed when the doctors feel safe.