what is the difference between gynecomastia male breast cancer?

Dr. Wesley Marquart
General Surgery 18 years experience
Benign vs malignant: Gynecomastia is a benign condition usually caused by drug abuse or prescription medications. On the other hand, male breast cancer is malignant and can spread through metastasis. Fortunately it is rare for males to develop breast cancer.
Dr. Devon Webster
Medical Oncology 22 years experience
Alcohol or marijuana use are common causes of gynecomastia.
Oct 4, 2011
Dr. Erica Bial
Dr. Erica Bial commented
Specializes in Pain Management
obesity and genetics and hormone levels are also common causes of gynecomastia. gynecomastia means "man boobs" - enlargement of the breast tissue. Breast cancer doesn't necessarily cause much enlargement, just often a lump.
Dec 6, 2014
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery 37 years experience
Gynecomastia is: The enlargement of of the breast gland in the male & is not malignant.
Dr. Travis Kidner
Surgical Oncology 17 years experience
Benign/malignant: Gynecomastia is a benign condition. Breast cancer is malignant.
Dr. Larry Nichter
Cosmetic Surgery 36 years experience
Man Boob vs Cancer: Gynecomastia is excess benign male breast tissue. Cancer is malignant and must be treated.