U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A member asked:

the gums above my two front teeth are swollen and i need them to go back to normal within 72 hours what do i do?

6 doctor answers10 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jake Richards
Dentistry 12 years experience
Brush, rinse, floss: Brush and keep them clean, floss them gently and try rinsing with warm salt water in that area specifically. Rinse for a minute or so or as long as you can. This should help it go away. If the swelling is not going away you need to see your dentist to have it checked out. Good luck.
Dr. James Merrett
Dentistry 29 years experience
Swollen Gums: Swollen gums could be a possible sign of infection. Go and see your dentist as soon as possible if you need the swelling to go down in 72 hours. It could be something as simple as getting your teeth cleaned, or it could be something much worse.
Dr. Jeffrey Jarvis
Dentistry 37 years experience
Go to your dentist: A swollen gum is not normal. You may have an infection in the gum, bone, or tooth. Not only is this uncosmetic, but very unhealthy. Call your dentist today for and evaluation, and discussion of your options. With assistance from your dentist, it is quite possible to resolve this within your time period. With no dental treatment......? Who knows... Call today.
Dr. Abel Loredo
Dentistry 37 years experience
Swollen Gums: It could be anything from a dental abscess do to a dead tooth, localized acute gingivitis or periodontitis. Your best alternative is to see a dentist right away, get properly diagnosed and start treatment or medication to resolve your problem. Swelling not associated with trauma is usually associated with an infection.
Dr. David Stall
Dentistry 38 years experience
Why 72 hours?: Not sure why 72 hours is important to you, however, if your gums are red, irritated and swollen, you should see your dentist asap. There is either a long standing gum problem or you may have an acute issue that can be resolved quickly. You probably can't treat this on your own.
Dr. Alan Zweig
Dentistry 45 years experience
Brush : Depending on the severity of the swelling and the reason for it, you may be able to get some resolution by brushing.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with

Similar questions

A 30-year-old member asked:

How come when I smile wide my mouth trembles?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Psychiatry 39 years experience
Essential tremor: This maybe part of an essential aka familial aka intention tremor. These are not serious but tend to run in families. They usually are seen most in hands when trying to lift things, are made worse by caffeine, stimulants and anxiety. If concerned consult a neurologist.
A 31-year-old member asked:

How can inflammed and swollen gums be treated?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Daniel Sampson
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 26 years experience
It depends: On the cause. Most of the time, this is due to plaque and calculus and is treated by a professional cleaning and good oral hygiene. However, some serious systemic diseases can cause swollen gums, so it is best to visit a dentist for an evaluation.
A 30-year-old member asked:

What are the symptoms of an infected lip piercing?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Norman Levine
Dermatology 51 years experience
Piercing: Infections are characterized by redness, swelling and pus.
A 46-year-old member asked:

What should I do for swollen tonsils that make it hard to breath if medication from a doctor isn't working?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Kamel Sadek
Family Medicine 25 years experience
Be seen again: If you are still having problems and your symptoms are not getting better, a second exam by your doctor would help in deciding whether you need additional treatment. Depending of the severity of your symptoms, your doctor will likely decide on placing you on a short course of steroids to help in reducing the swelling of your tonsils. Also, another exam will help in ruling out tonsillar abscess.
Grand Prairie, TX
A 18-year-old male asked:

My sister got her period last week and it came back 4 days later what could it be?

1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Franklyn Farrell
A Verified Doctoranswered
A US doctor answeredLearn more
Need Gynecology Eval: Vaginal bleeding is not always your menstrual peiod. Sometimes women get miscarriages that happen about the time that they expect their periods. Also, there are a lot of conditions that can develop in the uterus that can cause bleeding such as fibroids, uterine polyps, cancer, infections, etc. Your sister should go and see her pcp or a gynecologist for an evaluation of her vaginal bleeding.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
Last updated Apr 15, 2019
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$30 per visit with


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.