how long after a wisdom teeth extraction does pain and swelling die down?

Dr. Jake Richards
Dentistry 12 years experience
3-4 days: Depends on severity and your home care in most cases. 2-3 is not uncommon but if you had all removed surgically it could be a couple days more. Keep icing, cleaning and take precautions and you are instructed by your provider. Good luck.
Dr. Scott Harwood
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Varies: This varies from case to case based upon the difficulty of the extraction, skill of the surgeon and whether it was infected or not. Also the patients pain tolerance can influence it. Generally speaking 3-7 days.
Dr. James Hargan
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 23 years experience
About day 4: Usually around day 4 after surgery, swelling should be going down and pain becoming less and less acute, more just soreness. It varies a lot from person to person, and depends a great deal on how difficult your surgery was.
Dr. James Wright
Dentistry 33 years experience
Can Vary Greatly: So much in dental treatment depends on the patient, their pain tolerance as well as the type of extraction, ie; bony, or ankylosed. A surgeon's skill, touch & the way they do a surgery. Great hands with a patient who follows all of the home care directions can lead to a very positive result with very little pain. With all the variables, pain could be minimal or could last weeks. Meds can help.