does omega-3 help with depression?

Dr. Danielle Jones
Dr. Danielle Jonesanswered
Maybe, maybe not: Some recent research shows that adding omega-3 fatty acids to depression therapy can be beneficial in the treatment of some types of depression. Some studies also show a correlation between decreased intake of omega-3 fatty acids and the development of depression. However, other studies indicate that these theories are not true. The research results are currently mixed on this subject.
Dr. William Holmes
Child Psychiatry 34 years experience
For Some People: There is evidence that omega-3 can be helpful for the mood. However, it most likely to be helpful for mild depression or to help maintain a stable mood. It is not likely to be helpful by itself for more serious depression.