what is the recovery time after a hysterectomy?

Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Gynecology 43 years experience
3 to 8 weeks: There is variability depending on the reason for the hysterectomy, the age and health of the patient, and the way the surgery is performed. A vaginal hysterectomy, davinci robot or laparoscopic hysterectomy have the quickest recovery, as short as 3 to 4 weeks for healthy patients. A hysterectomy with an abdominal incision takes more like 6 to 8 weeks.
Dr. Jack Tubbs
Dr. Jack Tubbs commented
I routinely allow return to work after 1-2 weeks, but require 6-8 for intercourse.
Dec 1, 2012
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry 22 years experience
Recovery time varies: Recover time will vary depending on many factors including age, general health of the patient, infection control, smoker or not, blood sugar control, the exact type of procedure, and post-operative and follow up care. Discuss it with your surgeon and get their opinion as to what they feel is a reasonable recovery time for you.