Newport, PA

i don't drink enough fluids i just don't feel thirsty. but i'm worried my health is getting bad! what can i do to help me feel thirsty?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder answered
Specializes in Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Keep a record: Sometimes it helps to keep a record when we are trying to change our behavior. Drinking more fluids is one activity that might improve if one drinks (and records) at specific times. Eg, having 2 cups of fluid with each meal plus 1 between meals gives the recommended 8 cups per day. Keeping even a simple tally would be helpful. Other tips include adding tea or a squeeze of citrus juice to water.
Dr. Thomas Rohde
Anti-Aging Medicine 35 years experience
Nothing: Drinking water is not a matter of thirst, just a habit to be learned over 30 to 60 days and then will be automatic. Get a large mug with a straw to keep at your desk or work area and just go at it. A good place to start is half your body weight in ounces of water daily. Make sure it's filtered or reverse osmosis to minimize chemicals and heavy metals.