I've been playing basketball lately with average sports shoes and my feet espically my ankles hurt a lot why is that?

7 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Jerry Miles answered

Specializes in Podiatry

Right shoes: It is important to wear proper shoes for your sport.Basketball shoes have stable sides to help prevent the foot and ankle from rolling outward and provide for better push off.

Answered 1/11/2015

5.7k views

Dr. Eric Lullove answered

Specializes in Podiatry

Shoes and Age: Depending on the type of shoe you are wearing, it is possible that you do not have enough support for the activity. Basketball shoes are designed specifically for impact basketball with ankle support. If you wear average shoes/tennis/running, your ankles would be hurting due to the amount of stress placed on them. Take a week off, get new shoes. If still painful, see a specialist.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.7k views

Dr. Alan Ettinger answered

Specializes in Podiatry

Shoes: You need to purchase basketball shoes.They are designed to absorb shock and offer support.

Answered 8/7/2012

5.7k views

Dr. Jeffrey Kass answered

Specializes in Podiatry

Do you have flatfeet: If so consider an orthotic, also consider wearing high top sneakers which will offer more support to the ankles.

Answered 8/8/2012

5.7k views