Bardstown, KY

I have been diagnoised with three bulging discs in lower back, along with stenosis of spine, but the pain in my groin and pelvic area is getting as bad as my lower back, my dr. recommends pt, should i request another mri, i had one a yr. ago.?

Dr. William Newton
Pain Management 19 years experience
Right diagnosis?: All of the things you list about your spine MRI are common for certain age groups. You mention no pain in the legs or what makes the pain worse. Groin pain can be more suspect for hip problems or referred pain from the pelvic organs and even the si joints. If you have not seen a specialist about your issue, now is the time. Pt is always a good first step in managing any musculoskeletal problem.
Dr. Paul Aitchison
Radiology 26 years experience
Repeat MRI: If your symptoms are new, you may need another mri. Disc protrusions may cause groin and hip pain. With that said, physical therapy is a good start and should be tried before jumping back in the magnet. Note: if pain is severe or you are having sensory symptoms or weakness, an MRI is indicated.

Last updated Nov 28, 2017