Newtown, PA

Do you get the results of a breast mri immediately?

Dr. Carl Decker
Radiology 25 years experience
Not typically: There are hundreds of images to review and careful correlation to perform with prior studies. I would give your breast specialist one-two days for the reading and then call the ordering provider to discuss results.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Sean Canale
Breast Surgery 31 years experience
Usually within 24hrs: The typical breast MRI may produce 2-3000 images and a large volume of data (detailed architecture images and dye flow data) that need to be crunched, mapped and interpreted. I generally try to give the radiologist 24 hrs to produce a final read but know that they can often get results out prior to this depending on work flow and other factors.
Dr. Philip Chao
Dr. Philip Chao commented
Radiology 39 years experience
At my office you get the results at time of service.
May 7, 2013
Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology 34 years experience
Usually not.: there are many images and the interpretation is more time consuming than for a mammogram. Results within 24 hours is probably a reasonable estimate, but contact your facility to see when you can expect results.
Last updated May 5, 2016