i know i need to stop shopping but i'm not ready. how do you stop feeling so guilty afterward?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Lawrence Smith
30 years experience Clinical Psychology
Decide what you want: Guilt can be thought of as appropriate or inappropriate. If you've done something that you believe to be wrong (e.g., violated someone's rights) you feel guilty. If you've over-spent on shopping, you might feel regret because you have let yourself down by neglecting long-term goals. In order to stop feeling this regret you must lower your long-term goals or stop over-spending.
Answered on Jun 23, 2014
1
Dr. Jeffrey Satinover
39 years experience Psychiatry
See...: As with other addictions, guilt is one of the reinforcers--not reducers!--of any compulsive or addictive behavior see http://www.Indiana.Edu/~engs/hints/shop.Html professor ruth engs at indiana university has compiled a page of tips and resources. You'll see on the page that she has stopped answering individual queries because she was being overwhelmed--so, you are not alone.
Answered on May 14, 2016