what happens with over granulation of surgical wound?

Dr. Matthew Lublin
General Surgery 25 years experience
Nothing serious: Over granulation generally refers to over healing or too much scar tissue formation on the outside of the wound. This can usually be taken care of in the office with application of silver nitrate to the wound to stop the excess healing.
Dr. Michael Miller
Wound care 36 years experience
Too much good: Granulation tissue is when the capillaries that form to help wounds heal continue to grow and grow beyond what is needed. Silver nitrate is a bad idea as it is an uncontrolled method and you don't know what is dead till days later. Modern tx is to sharply remove all excess granulation tissue to below the skin level and then use modern dressings to promote more appropriate healing. It may recur.