Revere, MA

what is the cost of the neuropsychology test for add in massachusetts if my insurance won't cover it?

Dr. Kevin Passer
Child Psychiatry 35 years experience
Not sure: Why do you think you need neuropsych testing? The diagnosis of adhd is based on criteria from a diagnostic manual called the dsm iv. It is not necessary to take a test, not only that- neuropsych testing is a special type of testing, which would not really be indicated anyway for adhd. Neuropsych testing is expensive and could be over $1000. You should try and make an appt with a psychiatrist.
Dr. Timothy Re
Clinical Psychology 31 years experience
Not necessary: Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder can be diagnosed with a variety of methods. You could start with a therapist willing to do a diagnostic interview and some simple tests. This should be on the order of 2-3clinical hours at the self pay rate. Of course if there is any indication a more comprehensive neuro psychological exam might be up to 8-14 clinical hours. Start with a consult.
Dr. Stephanie Craig
Clinical Psychology 38 years experience
May be more than ADD: Many people with add also have difficulties with a number of cognitive skills that interfere with learning or with performing daily tasks, a job, or maintaining relationships. These can include trouble with organization, concentration, planning, behavioral and emotional regulation, as well as attention. Add meds may not help these. A neuropsych eval can id these areas & make recommendations.
Dr. Ana Adelstein
Clinical Psychology 27 years experience
Not Simple as Seems!: Many people don't realize that there's no specific test that confirms diagnosis of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (w/ or w/out hyperactivity). Important 2 rule out difficulties associated w/same symptoms of adhd, incl. Medical conditions, depression, anxiety, etc. Adhd can also be diagnosed in conjunction w/other conditions. 4 mayo clinic's pg re adhd in kids- http://mayocl.In/s9eyx7.
Dr. William Singer
Pediatric Neurology 51 years experience
Estimate: costs will range from $2,000.00 to $4,000. Some neuropsychologists will work out a payment plan. The neuropsychologist may be able to send your insurance company a letter justifying the testing - medical necessity letter.