Why are kids now a days diagnosed so often w/adhd&add then back in the 80's when i was growing up? n does this run in families a lot add/adhd?

17 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Nguyen Nguyen answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

Improved recognition: Indeed adhd does run in families. I think more are diagnosed because we have better tools to evaluate for adhd, and the treatment for it has been effective, there is more acceptance of the condition. It is not correct to try to link it to the increase in the number of vacines today. In the fifties we were given more than 3000 antigens in the vaccines whereas today they get only 300-400 antigens.

Answered 2/26/2013

5.7k views

Dr. Carla Enriquez answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

It's heritable : Yes, it runs in families. We are able to recognize these case more easily now. Adhd is a condition that is under diagnosed, under treated, & under recognized. But it's impact is amazing. Drug use, motor vehicle deaths, academic & work failure, felonies, failed relationships, addictions ate the consequence of untreated adhd. See my health guides for articles.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.6k views

Dr. William Singer answered

Specializes in Pediatric Neurology

Environmental factor: First-ADHD does run in families. Second the diagnosis is mid used to characterize behaviors that and not consistent, such as aggression, destructiveness. Teachers have large classes so they may characterize children who need special attention as ADHD. Other misdiagnoses are depression, anxiety,inadequate sleep or diet, abuse, inappropriate Ed placement, family separation or disharmony. And more

Answered 4/9/2015

3k views