Canada

If i find that prednisone helps me a lot for asthma and allergies, am i able to take it daily but at a lower strength? right now my doctor just gave me 50mg pills for 5 days pnly. couldn't i request, for example, 10mg pills daily?

Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Anthony LaBarberaanswered
No: It is not a good idea to take chronic steroids. It can lead to an increased risk for fractures, and suppression of your immune system.
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Side effects...: Prednisone should only be used for intermittent severe episodes and at the lowest dose possible. There are many potentially life-threatening side effects from long-term systemic steroid therapy, even at a lower dose. The vast majority of asthmatics can be managed on inhaled steroids where very little is absorbed systemically and only occasionally needing systemic steroids for more severe episodes.
Dr. Rada Ivanov
Pulmonary Critical Care 32 years experience
Yes and no: 50 mg is quite a high dose. It will help you but can cause a lot of trouble in the long run. Even with the 10 mg, you can have many side effects if used long-term. Try inhaled steroids first, such as flovent, asmanex etc, or combination products such as advair, symbicort (budesonide and formoterol). They are expensive. If you have no insurance - get Prednisone prescription to be used as needed and keep usage at minimum.
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Steroid psychosis: Even short term use of Prednisone can trigger "steroid psychosis, " a significant problem in up to 30% of the population. The resulting condition can lead to depression, agitation, severe anger, anxiety, mania, distractibility, and in rare cases hallucinations. Another common problem is the depressive effect on adrenal glands that can lead to life threatening shock or electrolyte imbalance.
Not a modern Rx: When you take an oral or IV steroid it goes everywhere. Your eyeballs, joints, brain, etc.Risks of doses accumulate over time. Inhaled steroids allow the med to go directly to the site of need & break down without systemic side effects. Oral meds are occasionally needed for short bursts to help avoid hospital admission, but a daily use as you describe stopped when the inhaled meds were developed
Last updated Jan 1, 2021