How does a hiatal hernia cause gerd?

Dr. Barry Rosen
General Surgery 35 years experience
"Yo-Yo" stomach.: One mechanism that prevents reflux of food or acid from the stomach up the esophagus is the fact that the pressure within the abdominal cavity is higher than the pressure in the stomach. If the stomach "yo-yo's" into the chest cavity through a hiatal hernia, the negative pressure within the chest cavity changes this pressure gradient, favoring reflux.
Dr. Scott Grover
Surgery 27 years experience
Mechanics: The hiatus helps control reflux by placing pressure at the distal esophagus where it comes through the hiatus. When you have a hernia, this pressure is reduced which can now allow reflux to occur. The position can change with a hernia and this change of position can allow reflux as well.