A 34-year-old member asked:

Can one get carbon monoxide poisoning from an old fashioned wood fireplace?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Mahmood Khichi
Pediatric Critical Care 33 years experience
Yes: Incomplete conbustion of wood without good ventilation of the room can lead to poisonoud build up of carbon monoxide. Every room with fireplace should have a carbon monoxide meter.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Similar questions

A 38-year-old female asked:

How do you get tested for chronic carbon monoxide poisoning?

1 doctor answer5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Oscar Novick
Pediatrics 60 years experience
CO poisoning: A simple blood test can give you the answer.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Glenn Burns
Dr. Glenn Burns commented
Emergency Medicine 21 years experience
The test is called "carboxyhemoglobin". Smokers often have levels of 4-6. Chain smokers maybe 10. Treatment is recommended for acute levels above 30 (above 20 with symptoms and above 15 if pregnant). The half life of breathing fresh air is about five hours. That means even if your level was 50, you would at the level of a regular smoker in 15 hours. The best treatment is don't get exposed.
Oct 27, 2015
Last updated May 18, 2013
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$44 video appointments with $19/month membership*
*Billed $57 every 3 months. Cancel anytime.


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.