Is there surgery to remove a pterygium from your eye?

Dr. Gregory Hines
Certainly: Ophthalmologists remove them all the time. However, the only time you really need to have it removed is when it occludes the visual field, so most that are lateral to the pupil do not require any specific treatment.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Jay Bradley
Cornea, Cataract, & Refractive (LASIK & PRK) Surgery 20 years experience
Yes: Yes. The most effective surgery for pterygium removal is excision followed by conjunctival autograft.
Dr. Rajesh Khanna
Ophthalmology 31 years experience
Of Course: Surgical removal is the only way to permanently treat pterygium. Drops or gel are used to numb the eye, allowing for painless removal of your pterygium. A piece of surface eye tissue called a “graft” is then placed to prevent re-growth of the pterygium.
Dr. Sandra Lora Cremers
Ophthalmology 27 years experience
Pterygium Surgery: Surgery is the best way to remove a pterygium (an abnormal growth of conjunctiva over cornea). Best technique is a Conjunctival Autograft taken from pt's superior conjunctiva. Special Fibrin Glue, Amniotic Membrane, Closing Gap, Large Tenon Removal, sometimes Mitomycin use or Avastin (bevacizumab) is also needed. See eyeMD with a lot of experience. More info: eyedoc2020.blogspot.com