U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 47-year-old member asked:

Do social networking websites raise my child's risk of substance abuse?

2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Anthony LaBarberaanswered
Pediatrics 29 years experience
Depends: This would depend the type of people on the site. Drug use and experimentation is influenced by peer pressure. You need to know what sites your child is using and monitor the use.
Dr. Vasu Brown
Integrative Medicine 35 years experience
No: It is a personal choice - educate the dangers.
Dr. Ed Friedlander
Pathology 45 years experience
You cannot prevent your child from interacting with peers in this way, and if you try, you will simply make Junior angry, and rightly so. Give him/her a good example and reasonable guidelines, and chance are that you will have no problems. Letting go of your children to fare on their own is a sorry and a joy -- let Junior know if he/she makes mistakes, you're still there to love & help.
Nov 5, 2013

Related questions

A 37-year-old member asked:
Are attachment problems a sign of child abuse?
2 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
A 31-year-old member asked:
Has the number of child abuse cases increased every year?
1 doctor answer7 doctors weighed in
A 32-year-old member asked:
How to cope as an adult survivor of child abuse?
1 doctor answer5 doctors weighed in
A 31-year-old member asked:
How do you define child abuse of young athletes by coaches?
2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
A 43-year-old member asked:
What are some signs of emotional & physical abuse of a child?
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Last updated Jan 8, 2015
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.