MD

How should i treat poison ivy

Cortisone steroids: Steroids are usually needed for poison ivy. A doctor prescribes them after confirming the rash is really the poison oak type. For bad rashes, oral steroids for several days are used (prednisone, prednisolone). For very mild rashes, cortisone creams can be used. A daily aveeno oatmeal bath may help. Claritin or zyrtec each morning, plus a single Benadryl (diphenhydramine) dose at bedtime, can cut down the itching.
Dr. Lee Perry
Allergy and Immunology 18 years experience
Antihistamines: I would treat with antihistamines to control the itch, and possibly topical steroids if the rash is severe.
Dr. John Chiu
Allergy and Immunology 58 years experience
Continuing exposure.: The major approach is topical cortisone ( a prescription one) and at times oral prednisone. The resin from the poison ivy/oak can continue to cause you problem. Be sure to wash off anything which has touched the poison ivy with a laundry detergent to rid of the resin. Do not overlook the gloves, boots, or even your car seat and floor mat.
Poison ivy: There are specific products that you can buy that will wash the urushiol off. Some options of treating poison ivy include calamine lotion, oatmeal soaks, Hydrocortisone cream and antihistamines. Sometimes oral steroid are needed.