What is the reason behind snoring?

Dr. Phil Zapanta
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 22 years experience
Many answers: Classically the snoring sound comes from the soft palate and uvula. However, when I have performed sleep endoscopy on my patients (patients are asleep as i watch their airway with a fiberoptic scope), I have seen the tongue, lateral walls, and even the epiglottis vibrate to contribute to the snoring. Improving nasal airflow is a good 1st step in addressing snoring.
Dr. Dennis Clifford
44 years experience
Soft palate: When we inhale the soft palate can vibrate against the back of the throat. This usually only happens at night because muscle tone in the soft palate is lower and the recumbent position allows gravity to pull the tissues closer together. Some people anatomically have less space in the back of the throat making snoring more likely. Obesity also makes it more likely.