NY

Is wellbutrin(100mg 2x/day), fluoxetine(30mg) and abilify (aripiprazole) (1mg, 2mg after a week) a safe combination for anxiety and depression?

Dr. Aaron Ament
59 years experience
Probably: Depending on yourneeds the combination seems reasonable. If the fluoxetine alone or in combination with wellbutrin doesn't remove/reduce depression, the addition of Abilify (aripiprazole) often helps. If, after a time this is not helpful... you didn't say you were in psychotherapy, but I would recommend it also.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Roxanne Lewis
Specializes in Clinical Psychology
Your question is about safety, and the answer is very much a matter of informed consent and measuring the risk/benefit of the medications. I agree with Dr. Ament that the combination may be reasonable, but there are some caveats based upon your health status, and how long you might be on the medications. Abilify can cause weight gain, open the door to metabolic issues, and needs to be watched.
Apr 29, 2015
Last updated Apr 10, 2016