Large filling 2 months ago. excruciating pain comes and goes. dentist tapped and used ice no pain. hurts slightly to bite down. said let's wait. why?

5 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Lindsey Wolfer answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Adjust bite: after a new filling the tooth can be sensitive but not excruciating. First, bite should be adjusted. If that does not help a temporary medicated filling should be placed to see if the pulpitis is reversible.

Answered 1/7/2015

3.4k views

Dr. Paul Grin answered

Specializes in Pain Management

Second opinion: In many cases, seeking a second opinion is not only warranted, but necessary. Unless your disease is life threatening and requires emergency care, it is never a bad idea to seek a second opinion. Getting a second opinion helps you feel more confident about your diagnosis and treatment plan. Good luck.

Answered 1/8/2015

3.3k views

Dr. Theodore Davantzis answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Non-vital tooth: If the tooth was not sensitive to thermal stimulus but hurt when you bit down on it, theres a very, very good chance the nerve in the tooth has died. How does it test to electrical stimulus? Pain is excruciating? Do you grind your teeth (possible fracture)? Sounds like you need root canal therapy. Waiting will not change anything.

Answered 3/4/2015

3.3k views

Dr. Gary Sandler answered

Specializes in Dentistry

RCT: It sure sounds like this tooth requires Root Canal Therapy. I would not wait. I think it's already way past the wait and see time frame. I suggest you get a second opinion with an Endodontist.

Answered 3/4/2015

3.3k views