U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A male asked:

Gums bleed when i brush my teeth & hurt when i apply pressure. i floss and use mouth wash. can i do something myself or do i need to see the dentist?

4 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Daniel Sampson
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 27 years experience
See your dentist: it is best to have this evaluated to make sure that something more serious isn't going on.
Dr. Gary Chapman
Dentistry - Orthodontics 36 years experience
See your Dentist: Sounds like you should have your teeth cleaned and a thorough dental exam. Periodontal disease has these symptoms you are reporting, especially this has been going on for some period of time. Be well!
Dr. Debra Rosenblatt
Dentistry 39 years experience
See DDS: When was the last time that you had a professional cleaning? See the dentist and have the dentist or hygienist address your concerns. They will go over home care and the proper use of dental floss in addition to brushing and using a tongue scraper.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 37 years experience
See DDS, gingivitis: If you have a bleeding gums, it may be a sign that you are at risk for or already have gum infection. Gingivitis is a serious problem, which should be checked by a dentist. Do not delay and call your DDS for exam and treatment.
Last updated Dec 27, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.