my husband has cirrosis of the liver due to hepc, if he needed a transplant could i give him half of my liver since it regenerates, if we are a match?

Dr. Bac Nguyen
Wow..that is love: I commend you for being so thoughtful and generous. Partial-liver donation can be done and often donors do quite well with few serious complications. Is it good or adequate for the recipient is another story and so i would suggest talking to your and his docs to discuss all the pros/cons of doing so. We need more kind people like you in this crazy world. Good luck.
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen commented
Provided original answer
It often works for both if you "match well" in term of medical compatibility. Best of luck to you.
May 29, 2012
Dr. Edward Smith
Neurosurgery 54 years experience
I love your answer.
Jun 3, 2012
Dr. Stephen Cheng
Transplant Surgery 35 years experience
Yes, but...: Be very careful with choosing the transplant center to have these operations. The donor operation is risky with a steep learning curve. Complication rates (both major and minor complications) for donors run somewhere between 40-50%. If you are not close to an experienced live-donor liver transplant center, you may be much better off staying with deceased donor liver transplant.

Last updated Jun 17, 2014