Texarkana, TX

does it make sense to periodically check your blood sugar with a home device even if you don't have diabetes or prediabetes?

Dr. Thomas Knecht
Not really: Hi. Unless you are at increased risk of developing diabetes, checking periodically at home is of no value. Finger stick blood glucose is not approved for diagnosis (diagnosis is based on serum glucose results), and non-medical people wouldn't know how to interpret the data. If you are obese, have a family history of type 2, have/had gestational diabetes, are high risk ethnic, etc, get screened