I have type 2 pre-diabetes. my blood sugar tends to be high first thing in the morning but normal in the afternoon. what would cause this and does it matter if it returns to normal?

Dr. Marvin Den
More info: Need to know what medication you are taking to be able to answer the question. It may be medication or diet related, or neither. Sorry that cannot answer better.
Dr. Maureen Mays
Specializes in Clinical Lipidology
Morning highs.....: Morning high blood sugars are often a sign of "reactive hyperglycemia." your blood sugar may dip too low at night, causing your body to mobilize fuel (turning fat and glucose storage out into the blood). You need to do the opposite of what you think and have a bedtime snack with 15 g of good carb and a little bit of healthy fat. 1 slice of whole grain bread w/pb or similar before bed will help.

Last updated Oct 24, 2017