U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 34-year-old member asked:

Who is the best person to care for my preemie? resident, fellow, np, neonatologist?

2 doctor answers11 doctors weighed in
Dr. Roman Alvarez
Neonatology 42 years experience
Need the best care.: Regardless of who you see evaluating your preemie in the intensive care nursery, the plan of medical care lays in the hands of a neonatologist. He or she is ultimately responsible for the preemies as the attending physician, each unit or hospital nicu, have unique methods to render coverage 24/7, university hospitals may have residents and fellows, smaller facilities nnp's and neonatologists.
Dr. Ameth Aguirre
Pediatrics 22 years experience
All: Looks like you are in academic center. In the best case scenario all of the professionals you mentioned work as a team and communicate with each other. Many double check points and an opportunity to get different opinions. The neonatologist is the person with more training and (usually) experience but it is important for you to be comfortable to communicate with one or all of them!

Related questions

A 46-year-old member asked:
Can a preemie survive difficult labor?
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 40-year-old member asked:
Can you give me advice!!! breastfeeding my preemie?
2 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
A 44-year-old member asked:
What is the reason they are pushing me to breastfeed a preemie?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 39-year-old member asked:
Do you think it is necessary to become cpr trained as a parent of a preemie?
1 doctor answer5 doctors weighed in
Last updated May 16, 2014
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.