I am taking a 100 mg caffeine pill in the morning i'm 6 months pregnant is this safe as its a pill and not drinking coffee? i only take this much

3 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Robert Grindstaff answered

Specializes in Addiction Medicine

but not recommended as the newborn may exhibit the symptoms of caffeine withdrawal and be fussy and irritable at birth. this could be mistaken for other types of withdrawal and result in further testing or questions.

Answered Dec 5, 2014

3.5k views

Dr. Laura Yauch answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Caffeine can be an issue if it is consumed on an ongoing basis while pregnant. Mayo Clinic and March of Dimes recommend limiting caffeine intake to less than 200 mg per day .Eight oz of drip or filtered coffee can have between 115 to about 200 mg. If you are limiting to less than 200 mh either by pill or beverage you are within the guidelines.

Answered Aug 25, 2017

3.5k views

Dr. Jeff Livingston answered

Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology

Curious why you are taking it at all. The concern about coffee intake during pregnancy is high doses of caffeine. Most studies show that small amounts of coffee are ok in pregnancy. I would not recommend taking a Caffeine supplement.

Answered Dec 5, 2014

3.5k views