Canada

I am taking a 100 mg caffeine pill in the morning i'm 6 months pregnant is this safe as its a pill and not drinking coffee? i only take this much

Dr. Robert Grindstaff
Addiction Medicine 39 years experience
Possibly: but not recommended as the newborn may exhibit the symptoms of caffeine withdrawal and be fussy and irritable at birth. this could be mistaken for other types of withdrawal and result in further testing or questions.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Laura Yauch
Specializes in Family Medicine
Baby should be fine: Caffeine can be an issue if it is consumed on an ongoing basis while pregnant. Mayo Clinic and March of Dimes recommend limiting caffeine intake to less than 200 mg per day .Eight oz of drip or filtered coffee can have between 115 to about 200 mg. If you are limiting to less than 200 mh either by pill or beverage you are within the guidelines.
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Why take?: Curious why you are taking it at all. The concern about coffee intake during pregnancy is high doses of caffeine. Most studies show that small amounts of coffee are ok in pregnancy. I would not recommend taking a Caffeine supplement.
Last updated Aug 25, 2017