Ocala, FL

Daytime sleepiness, legs hurt at night, sadness. are these enough side effects to change from prozac (fluoxetine) to another ssri? or shouldi stay

Dr. John Moranville
How long?: Depends in part on how long and what dose of Prozac. I see lexapro and Xanax (alprazolam) on your profile as well. Lexapro is also an SSRI and I am not sure why you would be on both. Xanax (alprazolam) is very addictive, can cause drowsiness and rebound anxiety. I would discuss with your doctor. There are other antidepressants which may help with both anxiety and depression instead of taking 3 medications
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Jan Lei Iwata
Dr. Jan Lei Iwataanswered
Ophthalmology 28 years experience
You are on 3 meds: right now that could potentially be causing any of the issues you are complaining of. So it's time for you to discuss this with your doctor &make sure these effects are not from the meds you are taking. Switching depends on what your PCP is best for you to do. S/he can help you decide what to do based on how long you've had these symptoms & testing to make sure it's not related to something else.
Dr. Miroslava Fox
Clinical Psychology 17 years experience
See below: Discuss any reactions you're having to your medication with the prescribing physician as soon as possible. Good luck!
Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology 38 years experience
Explore w/ Therapist: All of the SSRIs have common side effects - each may differ for you, but it's trial and error. You certainly don't want sadness, so let that guide your discussion. Adding CBT Therapy is a big plus - it optimizes any pill and has no side effects. interactions or w/drawal. Learning skills for living well at your age is a great value! Seek a good fit. Feel better.
Last updated Aug 8, 2018