Pittsburgh, PA

My baby has had a cold for around a week, nose runs, but now has fever of 102, is teething. worry? or just motrin?

Dr. Katharine Cox
Pediatric Emergency Medicine 46 years experience
Age: If your baby is less than 3 months of age or has symptoms like persistent vomiting, difficulty breathing or feeding with decreased wet diapers I would have the baby seen now. If the baby is older and otherwise well, treat the fever and see your MD tomorrow. Remember you are looking at the baby and if you are worried always have him/her seen. All the best and I hope she/he feels better soon.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Kimberly Ramsdell
Fever: Get to your doctor ASAP! Could be a secondary bacterial infection. Nothing to mess with. I'm a pediatrician and I know this!
Dr. Deborah Ungerleider
This depends on how: old your baby is and what other symptoms there are. This temperature would not be from teething. I would recommend taking him/her to her doctor so that the cause of the fever can be diagnosed and properly treated. If you're asking this at night and your baby is eating well, urinating well, not vomiting and is alert and active, you can give Motrin and see the doctor in the AM.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Fever: There are recent papers that recommend not giving Motrin before 6 months of age. That said, important to control fever and to keep baby hydrated. Fever of 1020 is not from teething. Please see Pediatrician ASAP to determine cause of symptoms and appropriate treatment.
Last updated Jul 26, 2018