dislocated jaw or tmj---how do you know the difference?

4 doctor answers
Dr. TED FEDER
Dr. TED FEDER answered
39 years experience Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Lock Open/Closed: A dislocated jaw locks open- you can't close your teeth together. With tmj, the disc usually displaces forward causing the jaw to be locked shut- you can't open your mouth. Both can be painful.
Answered on Aug 18, 2013
3
Dr. Kevin Sambuchino
20 years experience Dentistry
Tmj: I would assume you have TMJ disorder. If you ha a dislocated jaw you would not be able to open and close at all with or without pain. See a dentist who can treat tmj. In my opinion the best treatment is functional orthodontics. I treat many TMJ patients like this and have great results. The pain, clicking, and headaches are usually gone after the first day of treatment.
Answered on Oct 22, 2016
10
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
44 years experience Dentistry
See a specialist: I would like to know who offered you the diagnosis of tmj. Was it your doctor, dentist, chiropractor, ent, physical therapist, tmj/tmd specialist? You should really see a tmj/tmd specialist to proceed from there.
Answered on Dec 9, 2013
Dr. Louis Gallia
44 years experience Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
TMD TMJ: TMD and "TMJ" refer to disorders of the jaw joint and associated structures. A dislocated jaw is ONE OF TMJ disorders. See an oral & maxillofacial surgeon for expert advice
Answered on Mar 17, 2015