United Kingdom

a month ago i had kidney stones and now i have recently had tonsillitis and tonsil stones. are the kidney stones and tonsil stones related in any way?

Dr. James Okamoto
Probably not: Kidney stones are usually calcium oxalate stones, whereas "tonsil stones" are usually composed of various food matter, bacteria, cells and if they are present a long time, can also contain calcium. Using a water pic or gargling with saltwater can usually prevent the tonsil stones from coming back, and stay well hydrated to prevent the kidney stones from returning!
Dr. Leila Hashemi
Coincidence: Hi, the reason for tonsilar stone is the chronic or recurrent bacterial infection in the crypts of tonsils, the kidney stone could be due to high concentration of Calcium, oxalate, phosphorus or uric acid in the urine or recurrent infection of the kidneys.