A male asked:

pt in kuwait, low risk sex activity. pcr equivocal. repeating. other tests neg. his question is this test done the same us, germany, london,test +/-?

Dr. Brad Goldenberg
36 years experience Pediatrics
Depends: PCR is very specific and sensitive, but all tests have a false positive rate, and for PCR, the number is very small. I don't think it should matter where the test is redone as long as the technique is the same or similar
Answered on Sep 23, 2017
1
Dr. Anne Phelan-adams
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Since the likelihood of equivocal or false (+) or false (-) tests is influenced by the pre-test probability (e.g., risk factors) of a specific outcome, I would have to know "PCR of what?" and then assume that Baye's theorem is "universally" applicable.
Mar 3, 2015