McDonough, GA

Can someone tell me the side effects of.an mri without contrast im having one today and im claustrophobic so im already freaking out!

Dr. Howard Gurr
Clinical Psychology 41 years experience
MRI anxiety: Having an MRI is scary to many people. As far as I know, there are no real side effects to MRI's. As long as you do not have metal in your body, you will be fine. I suggest you notify the technician about your anxieties. They will try to make you as comfortable as possible. Remember to breathe calmly, keep your eyes closed and try to imagine yourself being somewhere else.
Dr. Lois A Freisleben-Cook
Don't forget to have ear protection as the sounds are quite loud. Ask the tech for ear plugs or headphones and then try to doze off.
Nov 11, 2014
Dr. Raymond Coffin
Clinical Psychology 27 years experience
Depending on the particular imaging study your doctor has ordered and the systems available in your area, it may be possible to have the scan done on an "open MRI" (Google for pixs). Several of my patients who were anxious about MRIs found the open MRI systems to be more tolerable.
Aug 20, 2015
Dr. Stephen Kibrick
Clinical Psychology 47 years experience
No real side effects: An MRI is a non-invasive diagnostic procedure, that does not expose you to any radiation, and does not have any lasting side effects. The patient lies down on platform that slides into the MRI machine. It is a narrow tunnel, but well ventilated. If you are cool, they give you a blanket. It is noisy during test, but they will give you earplugs. It's best if you close your eyes, and try to relax
Dr. Paul Velt
Diagnostic Radiology 43 years experience
None: There are no side effects of the MRI itself. You lie on the table,do not move and the machine does the rest. It is noisy. Depending on the center, there can be music.if you have a driver, your doctor can help calm you down. Hopefully this will be uneventful for you
Dr. Carlin Ridpath
Diagnostic Radiology 29 years experience
No side effect: Hi there, Fortunately there are no side effects to an MRI. THere is no radiation or other possible health side effect. I will tell you the machine is LOUD and small. I recommend you close your eyes during the study, try and meditate/relax and remember this will be over soon. It will not last forever.