IL

i have a broken 4th metacarpal. how long till i can go back to typing at work?

Dr. Robert Uyeda
General Surgery 45 years experience
Depends entirely: upon severity of fracture and associated soft tissue injury, displacement of bone fragments, and if your tendons are involved. Ask your ortho surgeon, but expect at least a month before pain goes away.
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 29 years experience
Varies: It varies somewhat based on the location of the fracture. Fractures at the proximal 4th metacarpal can be treated with a short arm cast with fingers free and you could potentially continue typing immediately. Fractures more distal Often come out over the fingers and it would be difficult to type until cast removed which would usually be 4-6 weeks