what fact i have high sgot,sgpt,ggt. but not hepatitis. as now my liver test is back to normal but my esr 51. i worry ,the infection recurred. ?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Dominic Riganotti
24 years experience Infectious Disease
You had hepatitis: Hepatitis is inflammation of the liver..so yes you DO have hepatitis. So chemical, bacterial, viral and autoimmune could be the problem. As you mentioned AST, ALT and GGT are the liver enzymes monitored and are specific and sensitive markers. ESR is a very very non-specific tool that is not exclusively tied to liver inflammation. The important thing is that the liver numbers normalized.
Answered on Feb 4, 2015
2
Dr. Lori Semel
34 years experience Pediatrics
ESR: ESR (sedimentation rate) is a very non specific test of inflammation anywhere in your body. If your liver functions have normalized and you dont have hepatitis, I suspect the mildly elevated ESR has nothing to do with it.
Answered on Dec 30, 2016
1
Dr. Rebecca Gliksman
Elevated LFTs: Hepatitis is an inflammation of the liver and reflects many different diseases.Elevated liver function tests, SGPT/SGOT means you have hepatitis but it may not be infectious like Hepatitis B/C but may be from other causes like autoimmune disease, gallbladder,medications,mets, or fatty liver. In hepatitis the enzyme levels vary. Please follow up with gastroenterology this week, check sonogram,
Answered on Feb 4, 2015
1
2
Dr. Rebecca Gliksman
Provided original answer
Sonogram is ultrasound, so you did a major work up. Did they do blood tests for lupus?How is your thyroid?Did you have mononucleosis? muscle weakness?(sign of dermatomyositis/polymyositis) celiac disease? Have you stopped/started any medications/herbal products? Would follow liver function tests once a month for a few months and see an expert in the liver
Oct 31, 2014