What about prostate cancer treatment? what kinds of issues should i think about when choosing a treatment?

Dr. Reza Shirazi
Radiation Oncology 20 years experience
Quality of life: Fortunately with early screening (psa, digital rectal exam) prostate cancer is found in early stages for many men. This typically leaves men with many options for treatment. I would recommend considering all treatment options and paying close attention to potential side effects that may be associated with each treatment. There is no one size fits all treatment.
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Radiation Oncology 33 years experience
Side effects.: In early stage prostate cancer all treatments are equal, so the question is what are the possibilities of the lasting permanent side effect. The two that men worry about is incontinence and impotence. Look up the percentage of these as well as bladder and rectal issues to help guide your decision.
Dr. Howard Adler
Urology 31 years experience
Several factors: There are a number of factors that one should consider in the treatment of prostate cancer. The first is whether or nor the cancer needs treatment as many are slow growing. So, you need to consider the psa level, gleason score, and stage of the cancer. You also need to consider your age, personal health, personal wishes, and the potential side effects of each treatment.
Dr. Paul Zhang
Medical Oncology 31 years experience
Medical Treatment: For localized prostate ca, the treatment is local(make sense): radiation or surgery cures most(again depending on risk). For late stages, the treatment is more complicated, particularly for those "asymptomatic" patients, those with a rising psa despite of hormonal therapy. No standard answears, but I have used a variety of therapies, including "alternative" therapy. However, all are anectodal, no.
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology 47 years experience
Beware of "new": And "improved" technology, that in fact is high cost and has limited long term follow up about late effects. Both surgical methods and radiotherapy suffer from the technical enthusiasm that lacks proven patient benefit. Just because it is high tech does not make it better. Most gleason 6 or less; psa 4 or less can be "watched and waited".
Dr. Chad Levitt
Radiation Oncology 22 years experience
Informed decision: I begin most consults for low to intermediate risk prostate cancer patients discussing how the most stressful aspect about the diagnosis is trying to figure out what if anything should be done about it. The previous answers are all correct. I'd only add to remember that you are your best advocate and ultimate decision maker. Be sure that you have been presented with all standard options, pros&cons.