Can I take 10 mg of melatonin as well as 10 mg of Ambien (zolpidem) so I can get a good night sleep?

Dr. Ernest Fischer
10 years experience in Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
Maybe: Melatonin is more a sleep cycle medicine then a true sleep aid. While people dose up to 12 mg I don't think you get much more benefit than 3-5 mg. I am not a fan of Ambien (zolpidem). It works well in the short run but does not deal with the underlying sleep problems and has multiple side effects. If both were rx'd and you are desperate - yes it will be ok, though I don't think it is a long term solution.
Answered on Sep 5, 2018
1