A 46-year-old member asked:

If your daughter has precocious puberty, should you take her to the doctor to get treatment?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental and Behavioral 52 years experience
Take her to her : pediatrician first. If your daughter had her first period or breast growth before age 8, (s)he will refer her to a pediatric endocrinologist who will evaluate her for an underlying medical cause & advise treatment based on the results of the evaluation. See http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/precocious-puberty/basics/risk-factors/con-20029745. It is important for her health & safety.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 13, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.